If you would like to make a difference in the lives of our Strongest Oaks, we would welcome your contribution. For more information on volunteering, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Independent Board Director
Are you interested in helping govern an emerging international development organization that delivers renewable energy to remote African communities and helps village youth establish new careers? The Strongest Oak (TSO) Foundation is seeking a talented, experienced individual to join the TSO family as an Independent Board Director. This director will complete a four-person Board, which includes co-founders Stace Wills (Board Chair), Dan Rickard and Mark McLenahan.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Provide independent expertise and leadership on all Board matters, including the development of Board processes and governance procedures.
- Provide support and counsel to the Managing Director and other senior management.
- Attend quarterly or bi-annual meetings and be available for input and discussion on a reasonable basis in between board meetings.
- Contribute to the development of a strategic business plan and the annual operating plan through active discussion of strategic alternatives and priorities.
- Help assess performance of the Managing Director and, as appropriate, help develop long-term succession planning strategies for the management team and key volunteers.
- Provide financial oversight on key financial reporting matters, monitor future cash requirements, and ensure an appropriate fundraising plan is in place to meet strategic and project objectives.
- Refer high-value contacts to help TSO solve problems, fill resource gaps, or create long-lasting strategic or financial partnerships.
- Reinforce a strong and successful culture throughout the organization, founded on principles of engagement, mutual respect, commitment to ethical behaviour, and social benefit.
Desired Experience and Skillsets
- 5+ years of corporate or non-profit board experience, preferably with either
- non-profit organizations in international development, or
- for-profit companies in the sustainable energy industry (ideally solar).
- Analytical thinker; strong financial and business acumen; well-versed in good governance policies and procedures.
- Motivated and passionate about international development.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional network of funding contacts, specifically corporate or strategic partners, as well as high-net-worth individuals.
- Engineering/technical background, with experience bringing innovative technology to market, would be a plus.
- Open to travel to West Africa occasionally for site visits, donor tours, or local stakeholder meetings.
To apply for this role, please forward your CV and cover letter to Stace Wills, Board Chair, The Strongest Oak Foundation, email@example.com. This posting will remain open until the position is filled.